A footnote on the Google Photos website says that “Facial recognition” feature isn’t available in all countries, probably due to privacy laws, but there’s a simple trick that will help you bring face detection in your Google Photos.
- Go to your Android phone settings, select “Apps”, then select “Photos” under the “Downloaded” section and click the “Clear Data” button to reset your Google Photos app.
- Go to the Google Play store and download Tunnel Bear or Hola or any of your favorite VPN apps.
- Also See : Best Camera Apps for Android
- Open the VPN app and connect. It will essentially trick Photos into thinking that you are connecting from US, a country that is supported by Google Photos for facial recognition.
- Open the Google Photos app, scroll past the wizard screen and then under Settings, enable the option that says “Group Similar Faces – Auto Group photos by matching faces.”
Now you can uninstall or disable the VPN app, launch Google Photos again and tap the blue search button. You should see a list of faces that Google Photos was able to detect from your uploaded photos. And the feature will automatically become available on photos.google.com as well.